Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy "October 31st" Memories :]

So I'm not an anti-Halloween radical. My parents always were and so we'd go to "fall family festivals" or "costume carnivals" at my church (haha). Instead of handing out candy, Halloween was always a night we would hole ourselves in the basement, turn the lights off so no one would think we were home, and watch old movies as a family. I never really minded this, since candy always was included, but looking back it was kind of perplexing to me. Because of the church/private friend parties we would go to, I never really desired to go trick or treating though (friends beat random strangers any day).

Ah how I love a nice private Halloween party (none this year though due to our international, away-from-good-friends status though *sniffle*), and the cute little kids dressed up as fairies or super heroes.

I have more of a problem with the disturbing aspect of Halloween. I saw a little kid (couldn't have been older then 7) dressed in a homemade, disturbingly real, disemboweled zombie costume once. I find that rather disturbing that someone would let their 7 yr old even KNOW about such things much less dress up as one. Much less MAKE the costume. Seriously.

.... but that's just me. Random memories. Random thoughts. :]

So onto the knitting. Unfortunately there will be no PICTURE of said knitting due to the fact that my camera is dead and local battery source was out of the kind I need *tear*. ALTHOUGH there is much to take pictures OF! Yay!

The mittens for my mom are all but done. I just need to figure out what to embroider on them. I'm also thinking about maybe buying her some super soft gloves to go under the mittens. *ducks all the rotten tomatoes and booing* I know I know!!! I feel absolutely terrible about not knitting them myself, ok?! But seriously. I have over a dozen knitting projects on my plate right now and that, with my stash being in storage back in the States, buying yarn for all these projects is getting priiiicey O_o. Also, Asia is really really talented at having alot of quality things for super cheap, ie. cashmere goodness, silken lovely. That's my story and I'm stickin with it! *feels as if she's justified self* ;)

... moving on now.

The flower shawl for my sister is blocked and just needs the button and flower sewn on, the briar bunny hat is done cept for the ears, AND I finally decided what I'm going to do for myself as soon as I wrestle the rest of these projects into submission.

I am also in the middle of ordering more yarn. First of all, you all should know exactly how I go about buying yarn online....

It all starts with tabs. Many many tabs. So many, in fact, that sometimes it makes my Firefox freeze up (I've been known to have over 25 tabs open in 1 window lol). I start off by opening Yarndex haha :]. Then I open the websites to all my favorite online yarn sources (ie. JimmyBeans, Knit Picks, Webs, etc...). Then I take my ravelry tab (which is always already open) and I find the links to all the patterns I have in mind and then I open all THOSE links. Then I leave them that way, pretty much lol. Usually for over a week, while the projects roll around in my brain absentmindedly. Then I slowly start adding things to my cart. All together it usually takes about 2 weeks of these goings on before I'm actually ready to order. This sounds ridiculous, I'm sure, but its really the only way I can ensure I won't forget anything (hate having to pay for shipping all over again. ugh.) *shrugs* :)

The point of all that was so you'd understand the full meaning of "I'm in the middle of ordering yarn".... haha :].

But anyways! Here are the projects I'm thinking about making for my winter gear this year:

Hat:
For this I am going to do the Not-So-Bulky Golden Compass Hood. What can I say? I love it. The little pixie point and the braided ropes give me warm warm fuzzies. Andrea's version is my favorite so far, I think ^_^ (picture used with permission)

My main issue is what yarn to use. I'm definite that I want a gradient striping yarn like the one used in the picture, but the main issue is finding a good one that's machine washable. I'm sorely temped to use Noro Silk Garden Bulky, but even after 13 years of doing yarn crafts, I'm still terrified of hand washing. The last time I tried it my project felted. It was.... terrible *curls up in fetal position and sucks thumb*

Also the fact that its a hat makes machine washing to be almost a must for me. I dunno... to me the fact that it goes on my head + the fact that it would be used all the time = machine washable yarn needed. *shrugs* :]

But anywho. Moving on....

Mittens:
Fiddlehead! What else! seriously.... how can anyone bypass this colossally amazing pattern? This one is going to be even trickier finding yarn for because it HAS to be machine wash. I can not STAND hand wash mittens. So I've been absentmindedly looking for a nice, hazy, machine wash sport-weight yarn. Any ideas? I feel like such a quirk case lol :]

Scarf:
Double Knit Honka Scarf. Since I don't know what "honka" is, I'm going to rename it "Whimsy" for my personal happiness. I already have the yarn for this project for once! lol I'm using my faaaavorite merino woll yarn ever. Crystal Palace Merino 5. I love love love this stuff. Its sooo soft and smells reeeally good (Am I the only one who smells their yarn?). What colors you ask? Black and teal, baby. I would actually prefer if the teal was multi-colored, but I already have solid teal so I'm gonna roll with it lol

Legwarmers:
I don't actually know if I'm going to get this far, but if I have time, I am totally going with the Mosey pattern from knitty. In my opinion this pattern is what legwarmers have needed to get them back in style for years now. I've always liked the idea and hated how they looked. I love this pattern though. Also nice and easy to find yarn for ^_^


Hmm... I think that's about it. I am anxiously awaiting pictures of my brother's kids in their costumes! Get this.... my 18th month old niece was a pumpkin fairy. How cute is THAT?! She is absolutely adorable naturally, but in a pumpkin fairy costume I'm pretty sure I may explode from the cuteness lol :]


Ps. I didn't actually get the chance to do anything for Halloween, so I decided to mess around and do another makeup tutorial for YouTube *shrugs*. That's what my profile picture is all about, for those wondering lol

No comments: